Think of your favorite accounts when it comes to social media. They probably include various celebrities, influencers, and of course, your favorite brands from which you regularly purchase. They are, as you know, B2C companies.
But name one or two B2B social channels you follow. Wait! What’s that sound? The sound of crickets?
You may not recall any specific companies yet, but B2B social media marketing does work. It even thrives when you employ the right tactics. By the end of this blog, you’ll have the master plan to making your B2B the first profile that comes to mind when people think of their favorite accounts.
The Best Business-to-Business Marketing Strategies
While the social media game plan for marketing your B2B offerings differs a bit from business-t0-consumer social marketing, they align in many ways too. Use these methods to reach your buyers, wherever they may be:
- Social media is all about the personal. Who is going to buy from your B2B? A person within your prospect’s company. In other words, businesses are made up of people and “customers always prefer a personal approach,” whether they are buying something for their business or for their personal use.
- You shouldn’t rely solely on social media to market your business. Instead, look at it as augmentation of your other marketing efforts (cold calling, networking, etc.).
- Your industry may not be “sexy.” It may be downright boring, but people on social channels that are interested in what you’re selling exist. Your job – and you must accept it – is to find them.
- Don’t be self-serving in the content you provide on social media. Instead, offer content that interests your prospects. For example, let’s say you’re selling manufacturing equipment. Might your prospects be interested in hiring people to work on that equipment? You could offer hiring/recruiting tips. Perhaps they’re interested in sales/business building and/or entrepreneurship? They might need to secure financing to purchase your equipment. Content that talks about the ins and outs of securing business loans could prove very helpful.
- Look at your social media channels as a way to promote all that great content you’re creating – the blog posts, ebooks, white papers, infographics, etc. Post about them on your social channels and provide a link for downloading.
- You may want to focus on LinkedIn more than any other channel because LinkedIn is 227 percent (!!!!) more effective for B2B marketers than Facebook and Twitter.
LinkedIn B2B Marketing
LinkedIn is the goldmine of B2B social media marketing. The platform serves business-to-business marketing more than any other channel, reported as a whopping 227 percent (!!!!) more effective for B2B marketers than Facebook and Twitter.
Some specific LinkedIn B2B social strategies:
- Place an RSS feed to your company’s blog on your LinkedIn company page.
- Place links to your company’s blog posts in your page’s status updates.
- Promote your products and services on the tabs that LinkedIn provides right on your company’s page. (HubSpot even suggests that you create “different variations of the tabs” so that you can target them to your various client personas.)
In Conclusion, Give Your B2B a Social Media Presence
If you take away just one thing from this blog post, take away this: more than 90 percent of B2B buyers use social media “somewhere in their buying process.” Social media marketing is a necessity for your B2B product/services.
If by chance you’re a beginning B2B (or even B2C) marketer, HubSpot has put together a wealth of resources all in one place.
B2B marketing (including social media marketing) takes a lot of time to do well. We know that for a fact because – hello! – this blog post is itself part of our B2B marketing strategy. It’s going to take one to two hours for us to write it, proof it, make it pretty on our blog – which has a wealth of B2B digital marketing tips; just saying – and then post it to our social channels.
So if you’d like to provide your B2B prospects with some terrific content on social channels, contact us about our B2B digital marketing services.